Rich, creamy avocado and the fresh taste of lemon both in dressings and as a salad ingredient on its own do go together well – but taste isn’t the whole story. Avocados and lemons also complement each other nutritionally. Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats, potassium, folate and many other nutrients. Lemons, as we know, are an excellent source of Vitamin C along with a host of other antioxidants, polyphenols and other nutrients.
Here are two salad ideas to brighten up your winter meals.
Tomato, Cucumber, and Avocado with Lemon Vinaigrette
1/4 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 3), chopped
2 seedless cucumbers, chopped
3 avocados (preferably California), chopped
- Whisk together zest, lemon juice, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl until well mixed.
- Add the oil, whisking until the dressing is emulsified.
- Put tomatoes, cucumbers, and avocados into bowls and toss with dressing.
- Vegetables may be prepared 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered.
Roasted Lemon & Avocado Salad
2 Meyer or regular lemons, sliced 1/8″ thick with the seeds removed
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh Meyer or regular lemon juice
1 bunch watercress or arugula, thick stems trimmed
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 avocado, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss lemon slices with 1 tablespoon oil on a rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper.
- Roast lemon slices, tossing occasionally, until lightly charred in spots and starting to caramelize, 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine onion and lemon juice in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper and let sit 5 minutes (onion will soften a bit and get slightly sweeter and less harsh).
- Add roasted lemon to bowl with onion along with arugula and mint.
- Drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons oil over; season with salt and pepper and toss everything to combine and coat.
- Add avocado and very gently toss until lightly dressed (you don’t want to crush the avocado).