September is a time of year for beginnings – for moves, starting school, getting the kids off to school…Even if your life has no connection to the academic year any more, the coming of a new season is the perfect time to reconsider your daily routines, and cleaning is a good place to start.
Cleaning with the natural cleaning power of lemons and oranges is one of the best DIY hacks that anyone can use.
- You’re eliminating harmful chemicals from cleaning solutions in your environment.
- You’re not flushing harmful cleaning chemicals into the public water system.
- You’re saving money!
Best of all, these cleaning hacks really do the trick. Here are five of the best cleaning hacks using oranges and lemons.
#1 – All Purpose Cleaner
This one uses citrus peel – either orange, lemon, or both – so you actually get to use the fruit and then clean with what you’d typically throw away. Cut the peel so that there is as little of the white pitch as possible.
1 quart white vinegar
Peel of 2 lemons
Peel of 2 oranges
- You can use the equivalent amount of either type of fruit peel.
- Add the fruit peel to a jar or other clean container, and pour in the vinegar – or simply add the peel to the vinegar bottle if you can.
- Leave the jar or bottle in a cupboard or drawer, away from the light, for about two weeks.
- The mixture should be yellowy or orange in color. The longer you leave it, the more it will smell like citrus, and less like vinegar.
- Use it by diluting it 1:1 with clean water in a spray bottle.
#2 – Orange/Lemon Scrubber
This works great for solid brass (not plated,) sinks, and faucets.
1 lemon or orange, cut in half
- Add the salt to a bowl.
- Take the half cut fruit, and rub the cut end in the salt to coat it.
- Use the fruit to scrub metals, replenishing the salt as needed.
#3 – Lemon Furniture Polish
Store this in a cool, dry place and you can use it up to two months.
1 cup lemon juice
2 cups olive oil
1/2 cup lemon peel, finely grated
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe into wooden surfaces, using just enough that it can be absorbed.
#4 – Citrus Powder Cleanser
Keep this handy for spills, stains, and soap scum. Use a sponge or soft cloth to scrub it into the area as needed, breaking up the dirt or other material. Then wipe clean.
1 cup baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/8 cup borax
1/4 cup grated lemon or orange peel
#5 – Carpet Freshener
Sprinkle this mixture into your dirty, dank carpets and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Then vacuum clean. The mixture will help loosen dirt as it neutralizes odors.
2 cups baking soda
1 cup borax
3 teaspoons lemon or orange peel
- Simply combine all the ingredients thoroughly and sprinkle where needed.