A celebratory occasion requires an appropriately extravagant cake. This version has three luscious layers of flavorful, lemony delicious cake filled with layers of tangy of lemon curd and a iced with smooth lemon cream cheese frosting. Make sure your guests ooh and aah over it to admire your handiwork and good taste appropriately before you cut!
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup lemon curd (see recipe below)
1 recipe Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
Lemon peel curls (optional)
- Allow butter and eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Grease and lightly flour three 9 x 1-1/2-inch round cake pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add sugar, lemon peel, and lemon juice; beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk or sour milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating after each addition just until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place a cake layer on a cake plate.
- Spread with half of the Lemon Curd.
- Top with second layer; spread with the remaining Lemon Curd.
- Top with third layer.
- Frost top and sides with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
- If you like, garnish with lemon peel curls. Makes 12 servings.
6 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon zest
6 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons water
1/2 cup butter, cut up
- Lightly beat the egg yolks and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar and cornstarch. Stir in zest, juice and the water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir half of the hot juice mixture into the egg yolks. Return egg mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat. Add butter pieces, stirring until melted.
- Cover entire surface with plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Use any leftover lemon curd as a topping for cake, cupcakes, or to spread on toast.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
2 3 – ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 1/2 – 4 3/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese, butter, and 1 lemon juice. Beat with until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add 2 cups sifted powdered sugar, beating well.
- Gradually beat in 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 cups additional powdered sugar until the consistency is right for spreading over the cake.
- Stir in the lemon peel.