When you’re looking for a light, festive dish to celebrate graduations or any other family occasion this spring, this delicious rice concoction fits the bill. It’s packed with nutritious goodness along with flavor that is lit up by spicy chili garlic sauce and tangy lemons. This rice dish makes a perfect meal on its own for one course of a sit down dinner or a popular item on your buffet table.
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (you’ll find it at any Asian supermarket)
1/3 pound sliced leg ham, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup fresh baby corn, sliced
1 medium red capsicum, finely chopped
2/3 cup broccoli, trimmed, cut into small florets
6 cups cooked rice (basmati works wonderfully)
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice
- Lightly whisk together eggs and sesame oil.
- Heat a wok or deep fry pan over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons peanut oil. Add half the egg mixture and swirl to thinly coat base. Cook for 1 minute or until just set. Remove to a board. Roll up. Repeat with 2 teaspoons peanut oil and remaining egg mixture. Slice the egg crepes thin strips.
- Heat the remaining peanut oil in wok. Add onion and stir-fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add chili garlic sauce. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add ham, peas, corn, capsicum, and broccoli. Stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add rice, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- Stir until combined and heated through. Serve.