Fall means cooler nights, means furnaces and other heaters are turned on. That means the air in your home becomes drier – and so does your skin. It’s a problem that many of us can relate to, but the solution is right in your kitchen.
A healthy DIY face mask, made from good for you ingredients like oranges, helps to maintain your skin even during the toughest of seasons. Freshly squeezed orange juice is full of antioxidants and also zinc, which is beneficial to the skin. To that, we’re adding oatmeal, with known soothing and moisturizing properties, and dried orange peel. Honey and yogurt moisturize and adds antioxidant power. The mask will leave your skin feeling softer as it helps to slough away dead skin cells.
First – dry the orange peel.
- Save orange peels. You can dry them naturally, preferably in the sun, which will take a few days.
- You can also dry them by putting them in the oven at the lowest possible setting for a couple of hours.
- The peels should be dry but not hard as a rock.
- Process them in a food processor to produce a fine grained powder.
1/2 cup steel-cut oatmeal
juice from 1 whole orange
3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons dried orange peel
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Stir until thoroughly combined. The texture should be thick without being runny.
- If it seems a little runny, add more oatmeal.
- Moisten your face.
- Apply in gentle, circular motions to your face.
- Leave on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Leftovers will store, covered, in the fridge for about a week.